Drawings of the Quaternary sequences of the North-east coast of Norfolk
A series of geologists have over the years attempted to record the important but very complex depositional sequences exposed in the coastal cliffs of northern East Anglia. This site offers the opportunity to view, examine and download these sections by a range of different authors:
Green, C. 1842, Slater - 1919-1932, Searles-Wood - , Ehlers et al. -
C. Green (1842)
The images reproduced here are taken from Wood's book The history, antiquities and geology of Bacton, in Norfolk. (1842) Josiah Fletcher: Norwich. They include the front cover and Fig.2. The latter shows the section from Happisburgh to Trimingham. Full text of the Geology of Bacton district chapter.
G. Slater (1919-1932)
This page provides the first time opportunity to view online or download the hand-drawn and coloured drawing of the Quaternary geology exposed in the coastal cliffs in north-eastern East Anglia. The sections were drawn by George Slater between 1919-1932, whilst he was living in East Anglia. Slater was an expert in glaciology and glacial geology who was a member of the teaching staff in the Royal School of Mines at Imperial College in London. He was an expert in glaciotectonics whose work at localities beyond Britain were pioneering investigations of glaciotectonic structures and glacial sedimentation, published during the inter-war period of the 1920-40s. A full obituary of Dr Slater was published in the Proceedings of the Geologist's Association (1957, 68, 97-98). Further biographical information on Dr Slater can be downloaded from the Imperial College archive.
- Slater, George 1907 Excursion to Ipswich and Claydon. In connection with the Ipswich Field Club. Saturday, July 27th, 1907. PGA 20, 186 - 192 + pl. v [folded sections][Suffolk: chalk / clays / gravels].
- Slater, G. 1911 Excursion to Ipswich. Saturday, July 16th, 1910. PGA 22, 11 - 16 + folded section [Suffolk: brick-clay, gravel, sand].
- Slater, G. 1926 Glacial tectonics as reflected in disturbed drift deposits. PGA 37, 392 - 400.
- Slater, G. 1927 Studies in the drift deposits of the south-western part of Suffolk. PGA 38, 157 - 216 + pls.
- Slater, G. 1929 Quaternary period. In: Evans, John W., and C.J. Stubblefield (eds) 1929 Handbook of the geology of Great Britain: a compilative work. London: Thomas Murby & Co.: xii + 557pp [CNHSS], 457 - 498.
- P.G.H.B 1957 Obituary Slater, G.. PGA 68, 99 - 100.