Phone +44 1223 333922
Charles Turner awarded the Albrecht Penck Medal 2012
Charles Turner has been awarded the highly prestigious Albrecht Penck Medal by the Deutsche Quartärvereinigung (DEUQUA) at their 36. Hauptversammlung in Bayreuth in September 2012 to mark his contribution to Quaternary research.
Charles Turner is an Visiting Lecturer in the QPG. His current interests include: Quaternary stratigraphy and palaeoclimatology: pollen and plant macrofossil analysis. Current working areas: British Isles (East Anglia and Ireland), Russia (Don Basin), Greece (Epirus) and central Spain.
Charles has recently retired from his Lecturer post at the Open University, Department of Earth Sciences .
Recent Research Articles
- Now available - Late Glacial and Holocene history of vegetation in Poland based on isopollen maps. Edited by Magdalena Ralska-Jasiewiczowa, Malgorzata Latalowa, Krystyna Wasylikowa, Kazimierz Tobolski, Ewa Madeyska, Herbert E. Wright and Charles Turner, Krakow, Poland: W. Szafer Institute of Botany, Polish Academy of Sciences, 2004, 444 pp. - "a remarkable accomplishment from a co-operative group of scientists and is a pleasure to read."
Brigitta Ammann (University of Bern, Switzerland) Holocene 2006.
- Turner, C., 2000. The Eemian interglacial in the north European plain and adjacent areas. Geologie en Mijnbouw/Netherlands Journal of Geoscience,79, 217-231.
- Rowe, P.J., Atkinson, T.C., Turner, C. 1999 U-series dating of Hoxnian interglacial deposits at Marks Tey, Essex, England. Journal of Quaternary Science, vol. 14, 693 - 702.
- Turner, C. 1998 Volcanic Maars, long Quaternary sequences and the work of the INQUA Subcommission on European Quaternary Stratigraphy. Quaternary International, vol. 47/48, 41 - 49.
- Turner, C. 1997 Chapter 29. Lateglacial landscape vegetation in Epirus. IN G.N. Bailey (ed) Klithi: Palaeolithic settlement and Quaternary landscapes in northwest Greece, Vol. 2: Klithi in its local and regional setting. McDonald Institute Monographs, Cambridge. pp. 559 - 585.
- Turner, C. 1996 A brief survey of the early Middle Pleistocene in Europe. IN C. Turner (ed) The early Middle Pleistocene in Europe. Balkema, Rotterdam.